Wednesday, May 11, 2005

No stage is too small

I had one of the weirdest gigs this past week. I performed in an apartment

On purpose

As part of a local radio station's thing (KISS 106.1FM) they had me perform for a monthly event they call "FunDay" where it's one member of the morning crew's job for that day to entertain the rest of the morning crew. In the past they've went bike riding and to arcades and so this time around they decided to have an apartment party: complete with pizza, margaritas, and me telling jokes.

www.kiddlive.com (click on "Shanon's Fun Day")

Here's the sick part of it all. I had a great time.

Don't get me wrong, it's still weird to perform for 12 people in a one-bedroom apartment, and I'm standing on a coffee table..But I had a blast. I can't speak for them but it's weird moments like that that make my life (and blog) all the more interesting. So thank you KISS 106.1 FM Morning Crew (there's too many to name) for letting me entertain you. I hope it wasn't too awkward for ya.

Now if anyone else ever finds themselves in a position to where they have to perform stand-up comedy in someone's apartment..Here's some advice (speaking from experience)

1. Stand-up comedy doesn't work like singing in the shower. You won't sound funnier just because of the acoustics in the bathroom. So get out of the tub and stick to living room furniture

2. Performing on a coffee table (funny) Performing on an ottoman with wheels (DAMN HILARIOUS)

3. When you're pacing back and forth on a wobbly coffee table and they say "Watch out for the Entertainment Center!" Trust me, they don't consider YOU the Entertainment Center.

4. No matter how big or successful you are, keep in mind, you're performing in a one-bedroom apartment.

"So Paul did being on TV help your career at all?"

"Yeah. I'm doing apartments. No, not installing blinds. I'm actually performing stand-up there. My mom is so proud. In fact I do door-to-door comedy while I'm there. I'm way funnier on the 3rd floor, and I got a standing ovation in the Leasing Office. Hopefully one day, I can work up to performing in crack houses. Keep your fingers crossed!"

2 Comments:

Blogger I said...

Wow! I spent most of the 80s in a metal band playing apartments and garages. Now I am an out of work Systems Engineer and second rate comic hack. Look at the joy you are in for.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Waylon said...

Steve's god got kicked out of the apathy club, but he didn't care, so they let him back in.

Whew, I got the joke right this time.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home