Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Tibet or not Tibet

I watched this movie called The Last Supper. Interesting subject for debate. Should you kill someone if you sincerely believe that because of their views/opinions that they would be a detriment to society? The main argument they go back to is wouldn't the world have been a better place had someone killed Hitler before he began his maniacal reign?

Good to debate. But that's not what this blog is for. Let's ramble about the unnecessary

I want to be a monk. Not now, but in several years. I'm intrigued by the idea of not being able to speak for years on end. Perhaps it would be even more difficult to maintain a Vow of Silence in this country, as opposed to the hills of Tibet, because if I was to do that here, I'd just be considered a prick. Wearing an orange robe would make others think I was a Hari Krishna, and I wouldn't be able to yell at them as they try to avoid me

"Hey hey, come back! I'm just a monk! I have no religious literature or tambourines! I chant and hum and occasionally brew beer depending on where in the world my monastery is located! I'm not even supposed to be yelling, or even whispering for that matter! And I shouldn't be running this fast with my robe flapping in the wind! We're required to go commando! Don't laugh! I may not be able to talk but I am allowed feelings of inadequacy and embarrassment! I didn't take a Vow of No Tears!"

You can't be a monk in the U.S. especially in the city. No trees to meditate under. Is it still Buddha-istic to find internal peace underneath the patio umbrella at Starbuck's?

So it looks like I'll have to venture overseas to make my dream come true. I always wonder when exactly does the Vow of Silence actually begin? Is there a ceremony? Or is it understood that you don't say a word the second you walk up to the monastery?

Because let's just say that there is a Vow of Silence ceremony. Now they have you raise your right hand and when they tell you all the tenets you must abide by in order to be ordained into monkhood, do you say "Gotcha!" or just a thumbs up? Because what if they're waiting for you to say something and you don't and now the rest of the monks think you're a prick too? And in the ceremony are the monks even allowed to talk to inaugurate you? Or is it a laborious game of Charades?

"Do you guys still teach those Chant classes? Or is that strictly a spring semester course?"

These are all questions I need answered. Now don't post me links or Google something for me. I can do that on my own. I need to experience these things myself.

It'd be hard to end a relationship by telling her that you're becoming a monk. Talk about giving her a complex. You left her to take a Vow of Celibacy? Ouch. Plus she'd be thinking that "Obviously our conversations were so arrogantly annoying and trivial that you never want to talk to ANYBODY again."

Ouch squared

Oh if you wanna comment on my blog, you now don't have to register a blog account just to say something. It's open for everyone. Keep it clean. Flatter me. Be funny.

2 out of 3 will suffice.

2 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

I saw the Last Supper. I liked it. I like the main point about how there's wacko's on both sides of the political spectrum which is what keeps most of mostly in the center. Great role for Ron Perlman too.

9:26 AM  
Blogger steve said...

The monks who take a vow of silence stay in monestaries. They don't roam around in public ignoring people - That's what I do.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home