Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Take my name..take my name

The topic of marriage reared its ugly head with me and some friends the other day. Mainly the topic of the wife taking the husband's last name. Now let me go on record as..

I don't want her to take my last name.

No, I'm not a "Renaissance" man. No, I'm not concerned about all the paperwork she'll have to go through just to do the name switcheroo. No, I'm not gay. No, I'm not worried that by her taking my last name that it's my way of controlling her and laying claim to my property and that's a very caveman thing for you to do Paul, don't you care about her self-esteem and independence and rights as a woman of the millenium?

Of course I do.

But what I'm really more concerned about is which kid likes which parent better. See, if both parents keep their names and the child/childses are born, they're really only gonna be given their first name. It's about the time when the child reaches kindergarten age that THEY get to decide which last name they want: Mommy or Daddy's?

Which one do you love better little Ernie?

I think the African-American community owes the Asian community because we have supported them for many decades. Let's be honest, without Asians, Uncle Ben's would be out of business. Because we don't buy rice by the box, we buy by the pound. We buy rice like white people buy dog food..in those big bags that you can only find at the Asian grocery stores. We even keep it in a separate closet and use a plastic scoop.

- So come on Jay-Z, buy a sari for Beyonce. Jamie Foxx buy some sunglasses (who better to wear Ray-Bans than the man who played Ray Charles). Snoop Dogg I know you used to smoke weed..so you know all about the incense. Call up Satya Sai Baba in Bangalore and buy a brick of sticks.

"Rolling down the street..Bumpin bhangra, sippin on mango juice"

4 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

I doubt any African Americans own or reap any financial benefit from the Uncle Ben's rice company. The only products that have African Americans on it that white people don't own is probably hair products because we don't have any idea what that stuff is.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

..Whoopi Goldberg..Corn rows.."You go girl"..

9:33 PM  
Blogger steve said...

"Elvis was a hero to most but he didn't mean shit to me."
-Chuck D

1:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I'm not disrespecting anyone who buys dog food by the bag. It's a great idea, just like it's a great idea that Indian people buy rice by the bag considering how much we eat. I've heard that Brad Pitt buys his condoms by the bag and rightfully so.It's just that people carry bags of dog food and bags of rice the exact same way. Seinfeldian really if you think about it.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home