Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The secret to my success

"Paul, let's be honest, you've gotten where you are in comedy because you're Indian"

That was a quote a comedian here in Dallas "e-mailed" to me. Not said to my face, but "e-mailed". A brave soul, ain't he?

Since when did being Indian pose an advantage? You never hear, "Oh man, the Dallas Mavericks are gonna be awesome this year, they have like 3 Indian guys!"

I've heard little comments like that before. As if I am the first ever Indian. I invented Indians. I'm the first one to move to this country. In fact the name "India" is Hindi for "Paul". Like every morning when I wake up, I get to decide which race I'd like to be. I became Indian to spite others. Why has no one else figured it out? One comedian once said "Hey I love the Indian stuff. Great gimmick!"

Gimmick? Like I'm some sort of villian from Scooby-Doo?

After the show, the other comedians catch me backstage.."Wait a minute Paul isn't Indian (pull my mask off) Mr. O'Malley!"

"And I would've gotten into Hollywood if it wasn't for you darn kids!"

But who can blame those jaded comics for thinking such things. You have to latch on to something. 'Tis always better to blame someone else for your own shortcomings.

Trust me, if all it took was being Indian and telling a joke to be successful, there would be Indian comedians headlining all across the country and in sitcoms. But there isn't. In the end it's all about who's original, funny, and works the hardest, regardless of race. And that's the reality of it.

We've done a South Asian comedy night at the Improv Comedy Club down here in Dallas for almost 3 years now and every so often a comedian will try to say something like..

"How come we can't have White Guy night at the Improv."

You do. It's called Thursday through Sunday. Don't ever play me the sad white guy violin about how us "ethnic" guys have it made. Blame your parents. They should've travelled overseas and spread their seed. I didn't choose your lack of melanin or my oversaturation of.

But it doesn't matter to the bittermen out there. I could do 40 minutes on cutting carrots and the criticism would still go back to my race. Good to see that's it's 2005 and things never change

God Bless Ignorance.

Oh by the way those folks who hate me are reading my blog right now and are steaming mad. Too bad they're not Indian, cus then they would know how to deal with the heat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Waylon said...

"I have hated you ever since you wrote the chalantly joke."

Waylon Haselhorst, 2005

8:53 AM  
Blogger God Hates Kittens said...

I saw you at the Improv a few weeks ago and I thought you were pretty good (though I might have been drinking at the time). I noticed you live in Garland, you poor bastard, I grew up in Mesquite and even had an apartment in Garland for a bit. If you noticed that this comment is totally off topic form your post it's because I hate reading/thinking and like to blurt out things for my own entertainment. I'll come back and read your post once the crack wears off.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home