Wednesday, June 29, 2005

End of Blogarithm

Time to pack my things and just sit at my cubicle for the next 20 minutes. I'm envisioning Happy Hour. Not a place where alcohol flows like Rapunzel's hair but a place where blogging is a thing of the past. Where creativity gets renewed refreshed. A place where there are no more late fees.

I've had a late fee at Blockbuster for over a year now on the movie Latin Kings of Comedy. I'm so adamant about not paying it because it's my friend's fault for keeping it out 2 days overdue, that I haven't been back to Blockbuster since. It's not that I don't appreciate movies. The Coen Brothers are my favorite filmmakers. In fact maybe if I didn't have this late fee, I wouldn't have this kind of time to blog. I'd be watching Big Momma's House and...

Wait, I'd rather blog

For those of you who don't know what went on all day today, since I do stand-up fulltime I decided to live a day in the life of the normal working person. I blogged from 8 to 5, twice an hour, taking a lunch break, so that it gave me some semblance of a workday. Scroll all the way down or look up the blog entry Eight O'Clock ish to start at the beginning.

I was off on a roll for a while, but for the last couple of hours it's been a chore to get any kind of blogwork done. Doing the math, it's 17 blogs in a day. My creativity well is dry. Spit in it all you want. This puppy needs a week to refresh.

I love to write. It's what keeps me somewhat sane. This whole experience though tested my creative limits. I recommend it for those who have the time because, especially being a comic, you must write. Not only when things are funny to you or when you're feeling funny, but when things aren't funny (make them funny) and especially when you're not feeling funny. It's not about being funny rather than thinking funny. Write and the think funny will come

So let's recap what we learned in the first ever Take Your Blog to Work Day.
- The President always looks like he's about to start laughing
- Plan B for me: Vegas lounge singer
- Drunk equals Sleepy
- I temped a temp job
- Donuts over bagels any day
- Don't hold back a hero
- Fetuses don't need stimulation
- I've got jury duty
- Don't follow in Lint's footsteps
- High school sucked
- The audience is the boss

Take these. These truths which I have given to you and store them keep them cherish them Superfly them into something sweet, life-affirming, and altogether downright funky.

See you next week

8 Comments:

Blogger I said...

I see you didn't pretend you were at my sh*t job. Didn't they hand you a stack of files and say stay till it's done? Even the guys with made up jobs have better ones than me. This sucks. Doof is fooD spelled backward. Thanks Paul. Doofleboy has spoken.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You've inspired me Paul. Best of luck on the boat. I have Dramamine if you need some. Works great for hangovers too.

10:04 AM  
Blogger I said...

Wow! One day of work must have tuckered out our man Paul. I was expecting more wisdom but I will be back. If you are not on a paying gig, please show up on Wed or Thurs so I can name drop to hot women. Thanks Paul.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic . .. did you hear about this? i got this from www.celebrity-babies.com

"July 08, 2005

Baby boom creates unusual crisis at SNL

Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph's nearly coinciding pregnancies and maternity leaves are making SNL creator Lorne Michaels crazy this summer. He is currently personally scouring comedy clubs across the country for new talent to fill the spaces left behind (at least until January 2006) by stars Maya and Tina while they tend to their first babies. Hope they find new people in time!

Source: Netscape"

I don't know if Lorne Michaels is specifically looking for female comedians, but if he isn't then I hope he finds you! How awesome would that be, huh?

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh . .. i just read my comment and I realized that SNL may not be your thing. If it is, then, of course, I hope you get discovered in a big way. If not, then I hope whatever your "dream discovery" is comes true! :D

11:19 AM  
Blogger I said...

I would be perfect for SNL as I am not funny at all.

2:12 PM  
Blogger I said...

Paul! Come back! This is all I have! I really need to name drop to get slammed this week! Are the Ybarra brothers very well known?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow, SNL searching for new chicks? Hmm. I really don't think I would fit the bill. I would love to write for them though. Wonder if Lorne will find his way to Dallas?

Paul...it's been far too long since you've written. It's making me sad.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home