Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Doldrumsticks

Wow. My time away is no longer considered "hiatus" worthy. Hibernation's the better word. Both mentally and typographically. Every now and again you hit a writer's block. Head-first. No airbags. I hit it. Bare knuckles. Didn't bust through it like Ralph Macchio and the icy slats in Karate Kid 2. Nor did I knock it out like Deebo did Red in Friday. In fact I'm still in the rut. Let's just say Paul's been around...the writer's block..and I-I-I..I can't find my baby (Lisa Stansfield anyone?)

Blocks have never had a good reputation.
- Slapping away a shot in basketball
- Duplo (cheap Lego knockoffs)
- New Kids on the Block

My disdain for the material I'm doing now is starting to become evident. Another review has flown in regarding the tour. My friend/fellow comedian Raj Sharma gets well-deserved praise for our show in San Jose. The show which went down 2 weeks ago wasn't one of Paul's better shows, as my burnout was on full display. The reporter mentioned about how my performance that night was disjointed and seemed un-inspired. And wow, she nailed it on the head. You know how sometimes you're at work and you're playing Solitaire, or making a paper clip fortress, or going through the break room fridge and switching people's bread slices? That's been my attitude onstage for the last week or so.

Now normally if I have a creative funk, I'll take some time off to re-energize the battery within. But being on this tour, I don't have time to do all that. So then it manifests itself when I perform. I'm just glad we don't perform outdoors. God forbid a butterfly grace my field of vision, 10 minutes into my set. I'd be no more useful than a 6 year old in that situation. The audience would have to waggle a rattle just to get me back in focus.

And I don't apologize for my scattered-braindedness. How I feel when I'm up there or right before I go up is the attitude that accompanies throughout my performance. And 88 percent of the time, it's good, fun, creative spirits. But if that 12 percent tickles my soul then so be it. Amen. For me to not have to turn on a phony smile and enthusiasm is exactly the reason I love doing standup now. There's no need for emotional censorship. Not that I'm at a bitter Bill Hicks stage in my career. But if I feel disinterested halfway through a joke about bobsled races, then apathetic is what I be. I just hope that the next time it happens, nobody's in the audience writing a critical review that will permanently thicken my insecurity blanket for the next 12 years.

By the way, the title track off Stadium Arcadium is one of the best songs this boy has ever heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home