Friday, May 26, 2006

I'm watching Colors...

It's that movie from the 80s with Sean Penn and Robert Duvall, about street gangs in L.A. One of the members of the Mexican gang is that red-headed guy from Children of the Corn, who played Malachi. Now that's gangsta. From being a Satan worshipper in Iowa to running the streets with Latino gangbangers. Speaking of gangsta .. Isn't Chewbacca the ultimate one? He walks around with an ammo belt sash across his chest like he just won Mr. America NRA, toting a gun, and he's BUTT NAKED. Bare ass and strapped. It's almost like he's daring you to laugh

"Say something! I'll download a beatdown by uploading my foot in your ass"

So I went back to visit my folks' last week and they told me that they're putting their house up for sale. Lots of memories in that place. It'll be sad to never be able to come back and visit it. Well I can .. but I'm pretty sure the new residents won't be fond of me eating Oreos in their living room or coloring on their fridge. I wish the house was haunted by spirits. But the only things that ever died in there were 3 goldfish, a bunch of roaches, and my parents' dreams of me being a doctor.

I will remember all the holidays spent. Thanksgiving Day with the processed turkey loaf. Valentine's Day when I had no date and watched I Love Lucy with my mom. Kwanzaa

Christmas never involved a memory worth memorizing. My parents didn't cram into department stores fighting off other parents looking for the best gift possible. They went to my aunt's house. Before my parents arrived, she'd ask my cousin Michael..

"Paul's parents are coming over so put out all the toys you don't use any more. They need a gift for him"

Not really a factor when you're under the age of 3. Kids that age don't care what they get for Christmas. They can easily be entertained by a keychain and nickels. But there comes an age where the charade is over. When you get a present in a box that has nothing to do with the present inside .. that's a pretty clear sign that your present isn't brand new

Paul: "You got me a set of steak knives?"
Dad: "No no, open the box. See? It's a football!"
Paul: "Why does it say Michael?"
Dad: "Umm .. errr .. because that's a Michael .... Jordan football. Hey come on, throw me a slam dunk!"

I love religious programming. Comedy Central has nothing on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. Benny Hinn is way more entertaining than Dane Cook. You know Benny Hinn. The televangelist with the white hair and even whiter suit. He goes all over the country preaching in arenas and healing people by placing his hands on their foreheads. They immediately pass out after having "received the Holy Spirit". And that would scare me. Growing up with 4 year old Benny Hinn .. Playing Freeze Tag

Well on one episode there's a guy talking about heaven. Here was his analogy as to what living in heaven is like

"Heaven is a place where you can go skydiving without a parachute"

"Hmm. Isn't that how people get to heaven?"

I want to go to heaven, but I want to be able to pick my roommate. Those televangelists are fun to watch but would be hell to live with. Cosby's going to heaven isn't he? I've always wanted to be the Theo to his Dr. Huxtable

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home