Monday, April 04, 2005

Fine Line

There seems to be a small, almost microscopic step between 2 emotions.

Worry vs. Obsession
Fear vs. Paranoia
Good vs. Evil

I toe that tightrope many a time. Very rarely ever teetering to the latter half. Just to make sure I don't, I don't have hobbies. I don't collect anything (unless you count guilt). Because collecting is cute..until you have more than 10 of something. And then it's just creepy

4 Beanie Babies...awwww
444 Beanie Babies..drink a cup of bleach


The same goes for writing. I lug a tiny notebook around everywhere I go. Anything that makes me laugh or worry or confuses me or makes me angry or sad or if I see someone else experiencing that, always ends up in my book. I've just recently begun to not bring it around, then when all of a sudden I can't remember what it was I wanted to write down, I begin to worry. Worry leads to obsession which leads to sleepless nights thinking what exactly it was.

But then again if I bring the notebook around, I find myself constantly writing in it. Everywhere I go. Walking by 2 homeless guys and overhearing them discuss the pros and cons of a jelly donut makes me wanna pulll up a cardboard box and start jotting it down. It's obsession either way.

Someone told me to bring a digital recorder with me so I could verbally record my thoughts. But to me that comes off twice as creepy and suspicious, especially when you look like me and you're in an airport, whispering into a tape recorder. Here I am just trying to document my little rant on baggage claim and there's airport security thinking I'm plotting something fishy.

There's a little jibbering going on that the new Pope may be black. I hope the new Pope is a white guy. For stand-up comedy's sake. The last thing I wanna hear is a bunch of comedians talking about "White Popes do this.." "Black Popes do this.." It'd give new life to every hack stand-up out there. I cringed when Arnold Schwarzenegger became governor in California because that gave even more comics reason to do impressions of him. But a black Pope would open up a whole new bag of played-out premises and punchlines. Is that the kind of legacy the Catholic church wants to leave behind?

3 Comments:

Blogger Waylon said...

If I was black and was named pope, the first thing I would do is go skydiving. That would take half of the hack premises away right off the bat.

7:12 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Even if they don't pick a black pope, the notion is already set. We're gonna hear about it. I'm sure the film, 'Pope In Da Hood' is on its way.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Waylon said...

I wrote down the date and the time for your entrance to hackdom when you first did the chicken vagina joke. Should I cross that out and write todays date and time? Please advise.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home